It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:46 am
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: horrendous lag spikes
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:35 pm 

for the past few weeks I've been having a lot of trouble with my internet connection. At first it was frequent dropouts, then it got to the point where it was so slow i felt like i was using dialup. Now, I'm getting frequent lag spikes. if I'm playing online, every 1-2 minutes i get a big spike in my ping (I've seen it hit ~900 in BF3), which makes it nigh on impossible to play anything. I know almost nothing about networking/the internet in general, so beyond resetting the modem (which has been done countless times) I'm stumped. what has me really confused is that nothing (that i can think of) has changed with my internet connection over the past few months.

Any suggestions?

(more detail: I'm living in a +100 year old house with 15 other people (although the house was relatively recently cabled so i highly doubt its a problem with the lines. at least internally). the landlords have the plan in their name (through TPG) with the current dl/up speed shown below.)

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:03 pm 

Drop tpg!

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

It will be an issue with TPG's exchange OR your other housemates downloading stuff at the same time ie Torrenting etc.

If you can rule out everyone else not killing it then id say it will be a TPG issue with an oversaturated exchange. Too many people in your area using it at the same time, downloading a shitload and using up all available bandwidth and the exchange can't provide enough for the area.

First off get everyone in the house to shut down and not be on their pc's and see if it persists.

Other than that, you'll need to speak with TPG. Being in the landlords name you may have to get them to call for you, then after they tell TPG their personal details get the landlord to pass the phone to you for troubleshooting with TPG tech support.

11mb/s down is fairly decent and should be well and truly fast enough for you to game on but as you said 15 other housemates could rape that quickly.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:36 pm 

thats the other thing. its the first time ive seen the dl rate recorded at 11mbps. its normally at 1.5 (not that i'm complaining). and as stated ive never had problems with housemates consuming the bandwidth before this all started, so i doubt its do to a change in their habits.

i may have to give tpg a call.

thanks guys

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:34 pm 

tpg runs off optus so optus customers gets first dibs on the exchange - the same with virgin

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:05 pm 
-D2K- Member

Swagger used to be with TPG and had big lag spikes back in the CSS/BF2 days looks like things haven't changed. moved to internode haven't looked back.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

It could quite possibly be a combination of things, but most common is exchange issue / house mates leeching / your own computer.. i would include line quality but that's been addressed in your case already.

I would check that your housemates aren't downloading heaps now that there has been a known increase in broadband speed - atleast ask them all not to do anything for 5mins during a peak time to see if your BF3 still gets a spike...

Secondly, check to make sure from your own end that you have no automatic updates set for Windows or Antivirus or Spyware/Malware protection apps or any other app for that matter.

And close down any torrents etc if you have any..

Check your NIC or LAN card speed and also check to make sure that if you have a switch that it's a Gigabit speed switch so there is no restriction there for you..

Lastly, and not usually associated with high ping - however sometimes associated with game lag can be overheating of your own components... . make sure your GPU etc is running normal temps..

Hope that helps mate..

OfflineProfile
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]