It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:58 pm
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Airbrushed Pc Case's
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:59 am 

Hey Dragon.

I like your art work.

I'm getting back in to building model aircraft as a hobby, and teaching my nephew how to build balsa wood models and plastic models. But I'm going to get an airbrush to paint them, as I'm not 12 anymore and have money to spend on paint and airbrushes.

What is a good beginners airbrush set? Gravity feed? And can I make do with CO2 Propellant from a can - not bottle. Or will I have to fork out for a compressor or lease a huge gas bottle?

What sort of prices are decent airbrushes?

I've got a RAH-66 Comanche coming in from Netherlands to build. It was one of the last 1:48 model kits that I found. I'm using it to practice spraying. Also got a 1:72 Comanche to practice gluing bits on again. This is all just practice for the Remote Control Helicopter I'm going to get later on, and do a custom spray job on it. I want to practice airbrushing camouflage techniques before I move on to big projects.

Cheers

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:18 pm 

It comes down to what you want to spend on your airbrush, You can get them from $20 to $600+ like all things the more you spend the better it works,

first thing say is stay away from the Chinese knock offs if your going to be using it offen, I have 2 of them there ok if you just want to throw a bit of colour around,

If I was starting again I'd just get a SCA Air Brush Kit from supershit, I have not tried them out but they look a bit better quality then the cheap crap from china, If I start doing a bit more airbrushing I'm thinking of tying the bottom feed one out from supershit to cut the time down changing colours.

My main airbrush is a iwata HP-C Plus you can get them now for under $200.

If I was buying another good brush I'd buy a bottom feed, Because it becomes a bit of pain in the ass when you want to change colours in a top feed a few times.

For Paints I use Auto-Air Colours there all water based, I get the 120ml bottles they last for ages,
you can get just about any colour you want in them even colour shift ( changes colours depending on what angle your looking at it)

This where I get my paints from http://www.airbrushmegastore.com

I use a 180lpm compressor which is way over kill :lol: but thats what I have in the shed so thats what I use, I just fill it up and then turn it off and there is plenty of air for hours,

There is proper airbrushing compressors you can get, but if you have one in the shed I'd use that if not have a look on egay there will be heep on there. (make sure there is have a regulator on it)

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:58 pm 

Would this be semi-decent for a beginner's airbrush?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Air-Brush-Spray-Gun-Kit-Set-/251305889337?pt=AU_Art_Supplies&hash=item3a82ff8e39&_uhb=1

Or are these the cheap Chinese knock offs?

All I will be doing is Painting Model Aircraft.

I saw this one, and as much as it was tempting, I think it would be too far on the beginner's side.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:46 pm 

yeah that top one would be plenty good enough for that, Before buy it have a look at supershit they have one like that there you might get it cheaper,

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:34 pm 

Supercheap Auto yeh?

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:17 am 
Site Admin

lol Dragon and his nicknames for everthing. Yeah supercheap auto :D

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:26 am 

didn't I say that :D Supershit auto

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:15 pm 

Hey Dragon,
are there any advantages/disadvantages for compressors with a tank and ones without?
I'm trying to decide if I want to spend an extra $20 for a mini compressor with a 3L tank

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:05 pm 

I have not use a tank less compressor before, but I'd say that the tanks would hold you presser more even and the motor will not be buzzing in your ear as much, then again a 3Ltr tank your compressor would be still cutting in a fair bit.

It shouldn't make much differences on small jobs if your there for hours on a job then the buzzing would drive you mental..

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:10 pm 

Cheers thanks

OfflineProfile
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2